9. St Peter’s Church
By the 19th century the area around St Peter’s Church was the main shopping district of the city, after the heavy bombing the main shopping area was relocated to Broadmead. The church is made of pennant (sandstone) rubble, which varies a lot in colour. The tower has no buttress supports, but has windows in the upper levels. The nave and aisle are wide and date from around 1400. The narrow north aisle has a large bull’s eye window. There was a baroque painted screen behind the altar, but this was one of many features lost in the Blitz. In the 1970s the tower and arcade of the church building were strengthened with concrete and the landscaping of Castle Park was laid out around it.