7. The Dutch House
The Dutch House was built in 1676 and was bombed during raids in 1940. It was a five storey timber framed building, which stood on the corner of the High Street, where the current Royal Bank of Scotland building stands.
The Dutch House was Bristol’s best-known landmark before the Blitz. By 1732 it was the house of John Vaughan, a goldsmith, in 1810 it became the Castle Bank, in1826 the Stuckey’s Bank; and by 1855 it was occupied by Mr Tilly the Hatter (he first called it Dutch House though it has no connection with Holland). In 1908 it was saved from demolition by the Lord Mayor’s casting vote. During the 1930s it housed the Irish Linen and Hosiery Association but was pulled down after being seriously bombed in 1940.