6. Bridge Street (view from St Nicholas’ Church over Castle Park area)
This view looks out over the Castle Park area of the city, which is now mainly open parkland with the remains of St Peters church still standing. Prior to the severe bombing, the area was densely populated with 17th century houses and formed the major shopping district of the city. The churches of St Mary-le Port and St Peter stood in between the narrow streets of tall buildings and remains of both can still be visited. The castle area is also home to the remains of the old Bristol castle, which dates back to the 12th century. The castle keep on the far side of the park can still be viewed.
St Peters hospital also once stood in this area until it was destroyed on 24th November 1940. The building was a fine timber framed Tudor house built in 1612. It became a coin mint and then in 1698 it became a hospital for the sick and poor. During the 1930s it was used as the Register Office for birth, deaths and marriages.