4. Princes Theatre/Coliseum
This area of Park Row was a centre for entertainment before the war. It housed two very popular venues, both of which were severely damaged during bombing raids. The Coliseum building was built in 1910 and incorporates Italian style arches. It was used as a skating rink and cinema. It was one of the early cinemas which did not survive the arrival of the talking film, but was very popular during the 1920s/30s. It was used for munitions making during the First World War. A section of the Coliseum building remains and has been incorporated in to the University of Bristol Engineering faculty – University Gate. The second venue was Princes theatre, which was completely destroyed by bombing. It opened in 1867 as the ’New Royal Theatre’ with seating for over 2,000 people.