3. City Museum and Art Gallery (Browns Restaurant)
The current Museum and Art Gallery building on Queens Road was purely the City Art Gallery until 1940. The former Museum and Library were housed in the current Browns Restaurant. This building was bombed in 1940 and the remaining collections were then transferred to the Art Gallery site. The old museum building was designed by Foster and Ponton and constructed from 1867-72. The façade is a Venetian Gothic version of Colston Hall, also designed by Foster. There is much detail on the façade with a Venitian style balcony, wild beasts carved into the masonry of the ground floor arcade and rows of shields, which were added in 1894/5. The exterior of the building remained intact and it was mainly the interiors and roof which received damage during the bombing.