1. The Council House, College Green, British Restaurant
The Council House was designed in the 1930’s by E.Vincent Harris and construction began in 1938 by Cowlin and son. The building was not complete when war broke out and it wasn’t completed until 1952. However the basement of the building was used to house a British Restaurant during the war years. The building is of a neo-Georgian style and is constructed from muted brown Blockley Gloucester bricks. It has a symmetrical four storey façade and 36 repeating bays of sash windows. At the time of construction the two golden unicorns on the roof were criticised by the people of Bristol as a waste of money.